Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I Didn't Choose my II, It Chose Me

As far back as I remember I've loved Ford Mustangs, especially the classic ones.

My first car was a 1967 coupe. I took my driver's test in it--try parallel parking with no power steering! The car cost $575 (paid for in $25 weekly installments) and it was so rusted a friend put his foot through the floorboard.

On July 9, 1985, I bought this 1977 Mustang coupe with a 302 V8 for $900. Compared to the 67, it was a major upgrade. The interior smelled new (not like an attic), rust particles did not fall to the ground when I opened the door, and it was FAST. It even had a tape deck! I was in love.

I loved cruising around in my Mustang II. At the time, I had no idea that some Mustang "purists" didn't consider Mustang IIs to be real Mustangs. Actually, when I was away at college, my brother raced my 77 (without my knowledge!) and was only beaten once! Boys would come up to me at convenience stores and ask to see under the hood. I thought my 77 was the coolest Mustang ever!

Sadly, my 77 was damaged in an accident, so I traded it in for a 1979 4-cylinder Mustang, a move I regretted later. I've often thought about that 77 and wish I knew what happened to it. The VIN is 7F02F198840. If anyone sees it, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fun project. I have a couple of these cars I am over my head on II. But I love them enough to perservere.

    ReplyDelete