Thursday, April 22, 2010

18 years later...

Here's my Mustang II being delivered a week before Thanksgiving 2004. It was shipped all the way from Arizona to Virginia. Here's what I know about it's history: It was originally sold in South Florida before going to Texas and then Arizona. I have nearly all service records from the first owner--an elderly lady--and the third and fourth owners (but not the second...I learned more about them later).

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't buy a car sight unseen on eBay. When it rolled off the carrier I was disappointed that it had some rust bubbling up under the paint and the motor kept stalling. That was when I realized that I was really in over my head.

Actually, it could have been worse. A LOT worse. The red and white interior, which I adored, was in great shape. The tires were good, there weren't any rust holes, and it did run. And it only had 68,927 miles on the odometer--really low for a nearly 30 year old car.

So yeah, I had some work ahead of me, but the car wasn't a basket case.

This new Mustang II wasn't as fast as my old one (it has a V6 engine instead of a V8) and it needed a lot of TLC, but I'll never forget how excited I was when the car carrier come down the street and I saw my new/old Mustang for the first time. The carrier caused quite a commotion on the street with the neighbors coming out to see it. One woman said, "I didn't know you could get a car delivered right to your front door!"

No comments:

Post a Comment